Wednesday 20 April 2011

Creating a Graphic Novel

OK, so it's the second week of the 3 week Easter holidays... about time I did some work.

Had a quick look about online for graphic novel info.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Graphic-Novel  <-- relatively useful-ish.

http://www.austinkleon.com/2007/07/03/how-to-write-a-graphic-novel/  <-- good advice.  Thumbnails all the way, baby.

I've ordered The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel.  Should be here by next week... I also sifted through all the graphic novels at the library and was pleasantly surprised and inspired.  My preconceived idea that all graphic novels are Manga/Japanese art and RUBBISH and uninteresting was completely wrong.  There are some mint ones out there.

The ones I picked up:-

  • Owly, by Andy Runton
  • Anne - Freaks [4], by Yua Kotegawa
  • Fluffy, by Simone Lia
  • Completely Pip and Norton (volume one) by davegraphics.com
  • Top Shelf Under the Big Top, by Christine Shields
  • Pentti & Death-girl, by Emma Rendel
  • Bye Bye Birdie, by Shirley Hughes.


I also found this image that I love the colours of... I want to have this kind of effect with the different boxes/scenes in my GN.


Mmmmm pleasing.

I've started sketching out a plot for my novel... it's written on a long roll of receipt paper from work.  Recycling!


No comments:

Post a Comment