Monday 30 May 2011

Editorial Illustration Experiments

Here is the final coloured-up version of my initial idea.  I like the illustration, but was unsure of the lettering.  The hand-drawn typography seemed a bit too informal for the subject matter.




So, in light of not liking the hand-drawn typography, I got rid of it entirely and left the illustration to stand alone.  Might as well let the article speak for itself?





A different slant, just an illustration of Hawking, and a scribbled down quote from the article.  I felt that this illustration had the same problem as the first, in that the hand-drawn writing was too relaxed for an article on something as serious as religion, especially in the The Guardian.





An experiment using different sized Times New Roman Font.  I think it looks a bit clumsy and messy and detracts from the illustration.






This time I tried keeping the font all the same size, but still not happy with it.
Much prefer just the plain illustration without words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment